[opendtv] Re: 20060912 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Bob <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:22:30 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

I don't know of any subsidies in the UK. Italy had one initially but
I think they ran out of money. Berlin had some help for the poor but
that amounted to under 1000 units I think.

When you have a good product you don't need subsidies.

You mean, a good product as long as you use a 30' mast? It's mostly a matter of expectations, I would say.

If you take a look at this:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/whatyouneed/aerials.php

you will see such suggestions as:

"To enjoy FREEVIEW at its best you'll need to ensure your rooftop aerial
or loft aerial is in good condition and properly sited."

"To receive the best possible reception, we do recommend your digital
box or digital TV is connected to a rooftop aerial. Therefore we do
advise against using an indoor aerial to receive FREEVIEW."

"If you live in a flat or a similar building and you receive your TV
signal through a communal aerial system we recommend you ask your
landlord or local housing authority if it has been upgraded to receive
digital television, before getting FREEVIEW."

And yet over here, for a receiver to be classified as "barely
acceptable" by some, you must be capable of receiving DTT with simple
rabbit ears in an urban canyon. Where does Freeview suggest using indoor
antennas in a flat, especially one that faces away from the
transmitters?

I'd say that if you follow the Freeview instructions over here, you
should do just fine. Even without the "brand new" innovations which
vendors here could have introduced in STBs nearly three years ago, but
chose not to. Rabbit ears work fine here, by the way, probably because
our DTT transmitters are usually in the 100s of KW ERP, vs 10s of KW
ERP.

Bert
First I would not recommend using what Freeview is using. The average transmitter power in the UK is 3 kW ERP. Can you imagine that power level with 8-VSB?

I would not recommend using the modulation they are using, it is 2K COFDM based. And 25% of the country has no coverage yet due to interference problems with the Continent.

Yes, they recommend using an outdoor antenna because the signals are so weak and because most homes there already have such an antenna. But the reality is that many are using indoor antennas successfully and they are selling mobile receivers.

Just do a search for Freeview on Ebay. 565 hits many of which are for laptop and portable receivers.

Bob Miller