[opendtv] Re: 20060912 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:34:31 -0400

Bob wrote:

We could defeat that prototype by just walking in front of the antenna or standing to either side in a particular position.
I disagree -- at least as regards the tests of the LG 5th-generation box in my apartment. Here's the relevant section of my memo of July 22 in 2004:

"When I say 'reliably,' I mean not only that the pictures and sound were okay but that people could move around the room and I could move the antenna around without causing any breakup. It WAS possible for me to find an orientation where I could make it fail, but I really had to try, even on WNYW-DT, which could previously be received only with the antenna on the floor."

But I agree with Bob that what we tested does not yet appear to be available in any set-top box being sold. No receiver tested here before or since has worked as well -- and that includes Samsung's latest.

TTFN,
Mark