[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:32:21 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> (P.S. to Bert: The test described below had COFDM at
> only 3.1 Bits/Hz, therefore can be dismissed out of
> hand.

Prying oneself out of test results from 1999, I would
say the tradeoff starts to get interesting when long
range reception at 19.39 Mb/s of 8-VSB equals long
range reception at 13.17 Mb/s for COFDM. That's what
I'd like to see demonstrated. And at the same time,
when the penalty close in or in high multipath areas
becomes less and less severe. The latter has already
been demoed, but not the former. I agree with Frank.
I'd love to see this done.

> Notwithstanding that the fact that DVB-T is flexible,

Hmmm. You mean, how easy it is to go from 2K to 8K in
the UK, no doubt, so they can migrate from 16-QAM to
64-QAM after installing additional towers?

;)