[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:15:14 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I may prefer one source over another, however, if
> I spend less time consuming the product, that is
> a DECREASE, not an increase.

You are assuming facts that were not in evidence.
The NYT poll showed far more people preferring TV
news than any other source, and that the trend was
on the increase rather than the other way around.
Other polls have showed that TV viewership is up,
but that perhaps TV is viewed differently from
what it was. For example, TV playing while kid is
also surfing the web.

All of which sounds very different from your take
on this.

> > All the more reason for TV broadcasters to
> > emphasize their OTA plants.
>
> Huh? Are you suggesting that the broadcasters
> should be promoting the sale of affordable
> battery powered receivers that can be used when
> the power goes out?

Battery powered TVs will continue to exist, as they
have existed, but that's not the point. Power can
fail, but in some areas it does not fail, or some
people have their own generators or other emergency
sources of power. For example, we were fortunate to
have power throughout Isabel, with a couple of
short glitches, but Cox and Comcast customers were
not so lucky. Even those with power had no TV for a
couple of days, in many cases.

And yet, there are 19 independent sources of
(analog) TV available to us, which makes it very
likely that at least one will be on the air even in
difficult times. I was following the action on TV.