[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 01:11:31 -0700

Frank

I'm suprised about your assertion re far-field.  There are members of this
list who routinely send a single ATSC hop -- to serve translators  -- that
are several hundreds of miles in length.  One is doing this every day in
Arizona, on a station that you routinely watch -- assuming you watch PBS.
There are NTSC hops of more than 225 miles, with the termination point in
Arizona.

Is there a COFDM hop in existence that exceeds 60 miles?  I'd be interested
in hearing about those long COFDM hops in Australia.  I concede an obvious
advantage with COFDM in close in situations  "2 miles without an ENG truck"
is an almost common observation.

But, weren't the Sinclair tests somewhat dispositive of this particular --
far field -- issue?

While were at it, does anybody have contemporaneously captured transport
streams from the Sinclair tests?  I'm very interested in testing the MPEG-2
streams for internal consistency and looking into the transmitted metadata.