[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:17:02 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
 > It emphatically does not have to be made to work. We have been "making
 > it work" unsuccessfully now for years. We could petition Congress to
 > change the modulation. If all broadcasters and many like ourselves did
 > that it would happen. Congress is operating in an information vacuum. I
 > saw that a few weeks ago when I confronted Congressman Barton on the
 > need for a decent receiver.
 >
 > He was totally convinced that there was NO problem. That is what
 > manufacturers tell him because manufacturers think that is what he wants
 > to hear. It was the same back in 2000. No one tells Congress what is the
 > reality.

Actually I believe that eventually broadcasters will tell the truth to
Congress about how well 8vsb does or does not work.  They are probably
laying the groundwork for it now, but will wait a bit.  It seems fairly
likely to me that if we ever get within about 12 months of the time when
broadcasters have to give back their spectrum that will be the time when
broadcasters will start officially claiming we need something better
than 8vsb.  And they will be believed, with quite a stink.

- Tom