[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:55:31 -0400

Nick Kocsis wrote:

> But it bothers me that I have read statements on the
> Schubin tests that even the best of the ATSC 5th
> generation receivers of today cannot match the
> performance of DVB-T receivers that were already
> available in 1999.

Bah. I'm not too concerned about that, for these
reasons:

1. Those statements are off the cuff, more emotional
outburst than carefully tested facts.

2. I find it not only possible but probable that COFDM
will be better than 8-VSB is some scenarios, now and
in the future. But the opposite is also going to be
true, now and in the future, in other instances. The
two schemes will never perform identically in all
situations. 8-VSB will do better in long range
reception, all else being equal, for unarguable
physical reasons.

3. 8-VSB reception can only be improved over time,
since it depends on clever signal processing. So the
times it will show an advantage over COFDM can only
become more frequent rather than less frequent.

4. Even as far back as 2000, in the Hong Kong tests,
8-VSB and COFDM both performed equally well in their
battery of stationary tests. This included indoor and
outdoor reception (but no mobile testing for 8-VSB).
So if I were to base all by beliefs on the carefully
conducted Hong Kong tests, rather than emotional
outbursts, I would conclude that already 5 years ago
the system performed just fine.

I *realize* that would be hiding my head in the sand.
I'm just pointing out that one shouldn't consider
just one data point in such comparisons, especially
if that data point is unsubstantiated.