[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:28:44 -0700

John Willkie wrote:

>Frank
>
>I'm suprised about your assertion re far-field.  There are members of this
>list who routinely send a single ATSC hop -- to serve translators  -- that
>are several hundreds of miles in length.  One is doing this every day in
>Arizona, on a station that you routinely watch -- assuming you watch PBS.
>There are NTSC hops of more than 225 miles, with the termination point in
>Arizona.

I don't dispute what you say about single ATSC hops today. But my 'assertion'
re far-field was not an assertion but rather a request for someone to provide
some honest data that compares 8-VSB and COFDM far field reception under equal
conditions. The reason is quite simple: the industry has been sold on the idea
that 8-VSB is superior to COFDM in reaching the far-field viewers that our
common in our country, with our big-stick broadcast infrastructure. The
implication is that somehow this 'advantage' helps negate the obvious
disadvantages 8-VSB has in high multipath urban areas.

>Is there a COFDM hop in existence that exceeds 60 miles?  I'd be interested
>in hearing about those long COFDM hops in Australia.

Whether there is or not, I'd also be interested in hearing what ERP's they use
in Australia vs. the U.S. Apples vs. apples is all I ask.

About all we have to go on is old tests and/or anecdotal observations, like the
one John Shutt forwarded earlier from a PBS engineer who in August 1999 wrote:

"In the fringe areas, 8-VSB and COFDM performance was virtually equal."

-- Frank