[openbeosstorage] Re: session module

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:21:46 +0100 CET

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Seriously, you can install a kernel module that registers as a
> > reparse
> > point handler - if that's a virus or not, will probably be your
> > problem, as always.
> Yes, a kernel module is fine, I think. If you can install those (once
> we have multi-user (if that will ever happen)), you have full access
> the machine anyway.

Exactly (right now we can be glad that BeOS has so few users that want
to program virii for it ;-))

> > I have not yet decided if and how that service should be exported
> > userland (in a generic way).
> > For example there could be a flag for the fs=3D3D5Fmount=3D3D5Fvolume()
> > command
> > that will cause a sticky reparse point to be created.
> And how to get rid of it again=3D3F
> You certainly want to add functions to add/remove(/list=3D3F) them=3D3F!

Not sure about that - of course, they can be removed in the kernel, but
I am sure about that in userland.
I think a manual unmount or deletion of the file/directory with the
reparse point would also remove it.
It that turns out to be a little too less, we can still add it, but I
don't consider it right now.

Adios...
   Axel.