[openbeosstorage] Re: session module

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:30:08 +0100 CET

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think so. What I was referring to was this: you have a reparse
> > point
> > that creates a point in /boot/home/mail. That reparse point is
> > stored
> > in the attributes of the real BFS directory /boot/home/mail, but
> > it's
> > not yet mounted, since the system had no reason to do so yet.
> > Now, you change the partition that this mount point referred to -
> > if
> > the reparse point has used the partition size/offset to identify
> > the
> > partition, the situation that I tried to explain above arises: the
> > system doesn't necessarily know about the reparse point, and thus,
> > it
> > can't update it.
> > Clearer now=3D3D3F
> Yes, thanks. I wasn't familar with reparse point idea and where the
> data for them is stored.

Yes, sorry :-)

> If a global settings file on the boot partition would be used, this
> problem wouldn't occur. This may not work very well with removable
> media. But on the other hand, if I use a media in another machine,
> then
> I this may have undesired effects (e.g. a volume is mounted that
> should
> not be mounted).

As always. You boot your system in another machine, and your mount
points can't be resolved anymore. Shouldn't be a bit problem, right=3F
I think both approaches have similar problems. Saving reparse points as
attributes makes the system much more flexible, though, since you can
have all kinds of reparse points (i.e. archived data on a tape which is
automatically retrieved when you touch that file), without having to
fear loss of data when that one file disappears for whatever reason
(you know, the file's data is generally not journaled).

Adios...
   Axel.