[openbeosstorage] Re: session module

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:22:08 +0100 CET

"Axel D=F6rfler"  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Of course, that would only be possible when the system knows
> > > about
> > > all
> > > the mount points to be updated.
> > > If we don't have that global mount settings file, and the file
> > > system
> > > can't query reparse points, only the settings of mounted volumes
> > > could
> > > be updated.
> > Mmh, I can't follow here. Since the actual partitioning is done in
> > kernel, it should know, which partitions are concerned, even, if
> > they
> > aren't mounted. Or do I miss something=3D3D3F
>
> I think so. What I was referring to was this: you have a reparse
> point
> that creates a point in /boot/home/mail. That reparse point is stored
> in the attributes of the real BFS directory /boot/home/mail, but it's
> not yet mounted, since the system had no reason to do so yet.
> Now, you change the partition that this mount point referred to - if
> the reparse point has used the partition size/offset to identify the
> partition, the situation that I tried to explain above arises: the
> system doesn't necessarily know about the reparse point, and thus, it
> can't update it.
> Clearer now=3D3F

Yes, thanks. I wasn't familar with reparse point idea and where the
data for them is stored.

If a global settings file on the boot partition would be used, this
problem wouldn't occur. This may not work very well with removable
media. But on the other hand, if I use a media in another machine, then
I this may have undesired effects (e.g. a volume is mounted that should
not be mounted).

> BTW I think that only the real partition device should be used for
> those automatic reparse points - after all, that's the most secure
> value since the order and number of partitions rarely changes.
> Of course, we could have a global table that maps unique IDs to
> partitions, and those can be updated automatically if anything
> changes.
> But this would also be problematic, if you wanted to use a permanent
> /
> floppy/ kind of mount point (or in other words, for removable
> devices).
>
> That's why I would say: screw that additional data for system
> maintained mount points, and only have /dev/disk/.../master/0=3D5F1 and
> the
> like as references.

Yes.

CU, Ingo