[obol] Re: Wherefore art thou, oh albatross?

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "llsdirons@xxxxxxx" <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, paul sullivan <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 06:10:51 -0800 (PST)

A see a HUGE opportunity here to make some big cash- be the first one to
develop an app that can tell you what the CPL is from your current offshore GPS
coordinates.  This is something that could be used to navigate around whatever
your favorite county chunk of offshore waters may be in whatever state.  App
writers, get to work, there is serious money to be made here!

Tim Rodenkirk
Completely app-less in Coos Bay

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:40 AM, David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul Sullivan queried:

Question: Is there anyone who espouses your position other than you? Anyone
at the ABA who wants to draw the lines as you do?

I'll preface my comments by saying that even though I am a member of the Oregon
Bird Records Committee (OBRC), the thoughts and opinions expressed below are
mine alone and they are not meant to reflect how others on the committee might
feel about this issue.

This is not Mike Patterson's "position." It is an interpretation/representation
of how Oregon's at-sea boundaries would look if the closest point of land (CPL)
methodology is adopted at the upcoming annual meeting of the Oregon Bird
Records Committee (OBRC). The American Birding Association (ABA) has already
adopted this methodology, thus if you intend to submit your listing totals to
ABA or OBA, which follows the ABA Listing Rules, then these boundaries are
already in effect for you.

I want to make it perfectly clear that the CPL method is not a creation of the
OBRC. Further, consideration of this proposal is not being driven by a
particular committee member or group of committee members who are convinced
that using CPL is a simpler method. In fact, multiple members have expressed
legitimate concerns over how one can know exactly when they've crossed these
invisible at-sea boundaries using the CPL method instead the latitudinal
straight line running due west from the onshore border. Presently, there are no
easy answers to that question. However, if you capture a GPS reading when you
see a bird of interest at sea, there are a number of fairly easy ways to assign
that observation to a county/state once you are back on land with full Internet
access. I'm not going to rattle through those in this email, but if this change
comes to pass there will surely be further discussion in this forum and some
accompanying education.

If you look at the Oregon coastline, it is mostly devoid of promontories that
extend much farther west than the westernmost points in neighboring counties.
The glaring exception is Cape Blanco, which is by far the westernmost point in
Oregon. This is why there is such an expansive wedge for Curry Co. on Mike's
map and even a chunk of ocean south of the 42nd parallel (the Oregon/California
border) that would be considered Oregon and Curry County waters if the CPL
method is adopted.

If you are scratching your head over why the CPL concept has gained traction
and adoption in the birding world over the last couple decades, don't look at
the Oregon coast, where the straight line method seems perfectly logical.
Instead, pull out a U.S. atlas and check out the Middle Atlantic Coast. Then
try to figure out how you might draw up the at sea boundaries for New Jersey,
Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Once you get that worked out, you might try
tackling the at-sea boundaries for Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New
York, Rhode Island and Connecticut. As you can see, trying to interpret how the
straight line method works for these states would be a nightmare, with
neighboring states all using the most advantageous extensions of their
boundaries to claim as much ocean territory as possible. It is for this reason
that U.S. Maritime Law uses the CPL method whenever there is a disputed claim
over at-sea jurisdiction. It may seem like a
 convoluted way of doing things, but from any point out on the ocean, there is
only one closest point of land. It is unambiguous. I'm not sure who gets credit
for first suggesting that birders adopt this methodology, but it certainly
simplifies things along the Atlantic Coast.

In the grand scheme of things, the rancor over which state or county gets to
claim a particular bird  for the purposes of our little bird listing game is
not likely to get too crazy. It will not rival the competition for offshore oil
and gas rights, or bickering over which state gets to collect all the licensing
fees from the commercial fisherman using those waters.  Regardless, there is
still a need for an easy way to keep track of the playing field. Since the ABA
is the de facto national governing body when it comes to who gets to count what
and where, they have to adopt rules that are clear, unambiguous, and work in
every corner of the U.S., not just Oregon, where the shape of our coastline
lends itself to using the straight line extended method.

In addition to the ABA adopting the CPL methodology, it is also used by eBird
and is gradually being adopted by more and more of the individual state records
committees. Both the California and Washington BRCs  (CBRC and WBRC
respectively) have recently made bylaw changes that make the use of the CPL
method official. If Oregon were to continue to use the straight line method
going forward, the wedge off the mouth of the Columbia River that lies south of
the imaginary line extending west from the state line would, in effect, be
claimed by both Oregon and Washington. Any bird seen in that wedge could
legitimately be counted for both states, if that makes any sense (it doesn't).

The resulting impact at the southern border would be more bizarre. In adopting
this change, the CBRC acknowledges that there is a significant wedge of far
offshore waters (south of the 42nd parallel) that are closer to Cape Blanco
than they are to any point of land in California, thus these are now treated
(by the CBRC anyway) as Oregon waters. If the OBRC continues to use the
straight line extended method, 42 degrees N continuing to function as the state
line at sea, this wedge would be in effect a no man's land. If one were to see
a Shy Albatross or a White-chinned Petrel while cruising through this wedge, it
could not be legitimately counted for either state.

On the surface, this change may seem weird or even a bit non-sensical, as it
did to me the first time I learned of the CPL method a few years back. There
will be some initial confusion and maybe even frustration as we all try to
grasp and adapt to a new set of boundaries. This fact is not lost on me, or
other members of the OBRC who might support CPL adoption. My personal feeling
is that we (the OBRC) should work in concert with our neighbors and endeavor to
make our rules and standards, along with our methods for determining boundaries
as consistent as possible with those being used all over the United States. I
also believe that we should follow the ABA Listing Rules, since many Oregon
birders report their totals to ABA and OBA annually.

It is not my mission or the OBRC's mission to tell anyone what they can or
can't count for their own list. It's also not part of our mission to establish
the at-sea county boundaries or tell any individual how they have to determine
them. We review records of species that are rare in Oregon. Our primary
geopolitical concerns center on making sure that a Review List bird reported to
the OBRC was actually seen within Oregon and, if asked, being able to offer a
clear definition of the Oregon boundaries as we recognize them.

If, for the purposes of your own listing, you want to continue to use the
straight line method (presuming that the CPL method is adopted by the OBRC), it
is your choice to do so. There are no list police who are going audit your list
or show up on your doorstep to challenge the species total that you claim for a
particular state or county. Birding works on an honor system. The rules are out
there. How you choose to interpret them and how closely you choose to follow
them is entirely up to you.

I hope this answers some of the questions that Mike's recent blogs may have
raised. This post is intended to explain why this proposal is being considered
by the OBRC. Mike Patterson, who is an OBRC alternate, has put forth some great
information and a nice map showing how things would change with adoption of the
CPL method.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR