[muglo] Re: PAL system

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:55:18 -0400

Paul Region Coding and PAL/NTSC are different issues.  Region coding
is method the studios devised in an attempt to protect distributors
from competing with one another.  If a movie sells for $20 in Canada
and $30 in Europe it could be profitable enough for people to carry
suit cases filled with DVDs and sell them at the destination region
coding is designed to prevent this.  In Europe there seem to be a lot
of region free players so they can play disks from anywhere no matter
their region coding.  The PAL/NTSC has to do with different technical
standards for televisions in North America and other parts of the world.
If you really want to watch PAL movies on your computer there are
software fixes out there to keep your drive from locking to one of
the standards.

Gerhard