[muglo] Re: Netscape update; disk drives

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:16:36 -0500

on 21/3/03 9:13 AM, Eurogarth at eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I too have and old 6400/200 along with an older iMac. For your files on the
> 6400 you can either simply buy a =B3crossover=B2 cable for about $20.00 and

Shop around -- for $20 you better be getting a solid gold cross-over cable.
I've seen them for between $6-10 at most places. But, as I mentioned, if you
have a cable-modem, it means you already should have a cross-over cable.

> machines) and then just transfer the files from one to the other. Another
> way to go is AppleTalk across the 2 which I believe can be used with wither
> the Modem or Ethernet ports. The modem cable is even cheaper, around $7.50
> (and if your already on the internet with the modem you have the modem

LocalTalk (which is using the modem ports) will not be an option for her!
Since she's going to be upgrading to a newer computer, it won't have
built-in serial ports.

> cable). I found the crossover cable to be very fast. Another way to go is t=
> buy a router/hub and create a permanent network that will allow both
> machines to be on-line as well as transfer files back and forth. I don=B9t
> think you need to go the CD route unless it=B9s for data back-up to be kept
> off-site of the Macs

If you plan to keep your old machine around *and* you have a cable-modem
connection to the internet this would be an option.

Eric.