[muglo] Re: Netscape update; disk drives

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:12:07 -0500

Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:

>Dear Muglo-ites:
>
>I have a version of Netscape that is quite old - 4.78 I believe - and
>should update it.
>
>I have been told there are sites where I can download new versions for
>free.

Hi,
You should set "Smart Update" in your preference folder first, then go
to Netscape.com & download ver. 7.

>Here's my dumb question: if I download a new version, does it over-ride
>my old version?  Will I lose my bookmarks and e-mail addresses if I do
>that?

It's not a dumb question at all. If smart update is set then the new
retains the old, but they are recorded in your "System folder" in the
preferences folder under "Netscape Users" anyway.

>Here's another question.  I have an old Mac - a Macintosh Performa 6400
>- and plan to replace it sometime this year, maybe with an IMac or a
>Powerbook.
>
>I have a lot of valuable files stored on disks.  If I get a new
>computer, how will I access these? Can you still get external disk
>drives?

If you get a Powerbook, which I think would be more practical for you in
your line of work, there are external drives etc. that will read your
files, but Martins' idea of transferring would be better, but pretty
expensive unless you plan to keep both computers for a while.

>My Mac does take CDs.  Can I transfer those files on disks to CDs?  And
>how do I do that?

A very expensive solution on your Performa, but I'm sure one of us could
do that for you, even by email!

>I'm not up to the technical level of many of you - I have to admit that
>a lot of the time some of the discussion threads are incomprehensible to
>me.

Well, lots of us were that way too in the past <G>, in some ways even now.

>However, I love Macs, and that's what we have in common!
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Kathryn

Right on!