[muglo] Re: Netscape update; disk drives

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:34:43 -0500

Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:
> Dear Muglo-ites:
> Here's my dumb question: if I download a new version, does it over-ride
> my old version?  Will I lose my bookmarks and e-mail addresses if I do
> that?

If you upgrade to Netscape 7 it creates an all new folder etc and
asks you if you want to carry forward your bookmarks etc. You do
NOT lose them. However if you get messages in one version you
won't be able to get the same message in the other. You will have
to decide which version becomes your primary e-mail application.
  I run NS 7 and NS 4.8 plus at times iCab and can have all three
running at the same time. Seems some websites work better with
one or the other e.g. Purolator requires NS 4.7 or 4.8 but does
not work wit NS 7.0

I'm sure Eric D> will wade in here wrt to NetCrash 4.x - 7.x   ;)

> I have a lot of valuable files stored on disks.  If I get a new
> computer, how will I access these? Can you still get external disk
> drives?

The easiest way would be to network your computers and transfer
files that way. I'm not really familiar with the Performa but I
think some kind of ethernet cross linking cable would work. I'll
let the hardware cognisenti chime in here. And yes you can get
external drives to read those old disks.

> My Mac does take CDs.  Can I transfer those files on disks to CDs?  And
> how do I do that?

Unless your Perfoma has a CD burner already (and it sounds like
it doesn't) you won't be able to. You can buy external burners
but your new one will likely come with a CD burner and you won't
want two of them so networking the computers is likely easieist.

Another option may to have a fellow Mugloite with a disk drive
and burner to transfer the files to CD for you.

Martin