[muglo] Re: Netscape update; disk drives

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:09:14 -0500

on 20/3/03 4:15 PM, Kathryn-Jane Hazel at k.j.hazel@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a version of Netscape that is quite old - 4.78 I believe - and
> should update it.

You should make sure that you keep 4.78 around if you do d/l a newer
version. You'll find that for a lot of things 4.78 is actually a more stable
version of the browser than 7.0.x.

> I have been told there are sites where I can download new versions for
> free.

Yep. If you have a high speed connection it'll only take a half hour or so
(depending on the time of day). If you're on dial-up make sure you don't
need the phone line for at least an hour or two (it's large).

You can d/l it from <http://www.netscape.com>

If you're running OS 9/8/7 check out <http://www.icab.de> (2.9.1) and
<http://www.microsoft.com/mactopia> for two other browsers that work quite
well in OS 9.

I can no longer recommend Opera because version 6 is extremely bug-riddled
compared to version 5 (and they don't make version 5 available for download
anymore). I recently tried Opera 6 on two separate machines and it managed
to mangle the few web sites I tried (including mail.yahoo.com). Tabbed
browsing also *sucked* royally in Opera 6 (compared to Safari 64 or Camino
in OS X).

> Here's my dumb question: if I download a new version, does it over-ride
> my old version?  Will I lose my bookmarks and e-mail addresses if I do
> that?

No, I think they're different. You should be able to run both separately.

> Here's another question.  I have an old Mac - a Macintosh Performa 6400
> - and plan to replace it sometime this year, maybe with an IMac or a
> Powerbook.
>
> I have a lot of valuable files stored on disks.  If I get a new
> computer, how will I access these? Can you still get external disk
> drives?

Transferring files between your 6400 and whatever your new computer will be
easy!

You will network your computers and all it takes is $6 for an "ethernet
cross-over cable" (available at any computer store, and sometimes at your
corner 7/11 or Shopper's Drug Mart). If you have a cable modem, you already
have a "cross-over cable".

Turning on the "filesharing" option on your 6400 is as easy as clicking
"Start" in your "Sharing Setup" control panel, and noting your "username"
and "password" in the same control panel.

> My Mac does take CDs.  Can I transfer those files on disks to CDs?  And
> how do I do that?

You would need a CD-burner to do that ($200 for your machine... or, you
could borrow someone else's) but a much cheaper option is what I detailed
above ($6).

> However, I love Macs, and that's what we have in common!

And you hit the nail on the head!!!