[muglo] Re: Need Modem - OS 9.1 compatible

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:36:56 -0500

on 26/3/03 2:39 AM, Barry Takayesu at prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is it a USB or a serial modem that you need? I have several GV and
> USR serial modems. Compatible with OS 9.1? Don't know but I could
> find out.
>
> Hi Mary:
>
> Unfortunately, it is a USB port - on a G4.   ;-(

Well, you have a few choices if your G4 is a tower (I can't think of any
other G4 which *wouldn't* have a built-in modem (all iMacs and PowerBooks
have built-in modems) ;):

1. get a modem card for the modem expansion slot;
2. get a serial port for the modem expansion slot & use your GlobalVillage
that way (e.g. G4port from www.griffintechnology.com);
3. get an USB modem;
4. get a serial-USB adapter doohickie and use your GV 56 K that way;
5. don't bother with modems anymore and go highspeed.

If you have other serial devices (e.g. StyleWriter, cameras, etc) then you
may want to go #2 or #4.

If you don't need to use other serial devices I'd suggest you go with #1 or
#3.

_All_ consumer and laptop computers come with built-in modems so an external
USB isn't *that* useful in the grand scheme of things (to others/other
computers), however, very few pro machines come with built-in modems (most
of the time, if someone has the $$$ for a tower they can also afford
high-speed modem access which uses ethernet).

So, if you plan to continue using "pro" machines you may have a use for an
external USB modem.

Eric.