[muglo] Re: Need Modem - OS 9.1 compatible

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:33:26 -0500

on 27/3/03 12:11 PM, Barry Takayesu at prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The 450 G4 that I bought at Mac Outpost must have been one of a rare
> few that didn't come with a built-in modem - something that I didn't
> discover until after the fact.

The overwhelming majority of G4 towers don't come with modems so yours is
perfectly normal -- unless the original buyer specifically specified it it
wouldn't have.

> In answer to one of the posts, I did check with Rogers about a cable
> modem. Since I am about 100 yards away from the last Rogers
> installation (across a major intersection) and since they would have
> to go underground, the tech estimated the initial cost to be $25,000
> to $30,000 - a bit over my budget. I know Sympatico has high speed,
> but I am probably 3 miles from the switching station and would not
> benefit greatly - perhaps 120K.

120 kbps is still twice a 56 K and responsiveness will be a lot higher. You
can always try to finagle a minimum speed guarantee out of them and see if
that'll help you (or, you could always try the service for a month and see
if you like it).

> Just out of curiosity, my USB 56K modem usually connects at 49000
> bps. The USB port has a throughput of 12Mb, but the typical download
> speed is around 1500 - 1800 bps. What is causing the bottleneck?

None of the above. Either (a) your phone line, or (b) your modem settings!
You're not actually connecting at 49000 bps -- that's just the modem being
unreasonably optimistic (that's how fast they're communicating but that's
because of compression... a 14.4 can achieve up to 56K with compression).

More likely you're connecting at somewhere between 14.4 and 28.8, possibly
due to a faulty modem setting, but more likely due to a "dirty" phone line
(too many other devices on the line, or some water damage along the way
causing shorts/noise, etc.).

It's also possible that your ISP doesn't have enough bandwidth to support
its customers but that doesn't seem likely nowadays.

PS If you know someone on the other side of the intersection, maybe you
could set up a wireless network with them (check out Terry's set up at
http://www.terrytech.on.ca and go to his News page).

Eric.