[muglo] Re: Need Modem - OS 9.1 compatible

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:47:55 -0500

on 26/3/03 12:56 PM, Mary at iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 12:42 PM -0500 3/26/03, Alex wrote:
>
>> I've used a GV modem in OS9, it was a serial modem tho.
>
> OS 9 dot what? tho', Alex...
>
> There is some indication that GV external modems worked up to 9.0.4, and then,
> with the advent of ARA version 4 in OS 9.1, they no longer worked because GV
> (and the outfits (Boca Research and Zoom) that subsequently acquired their
> modem biz) never developed a script that would work past ARA version 3.x.
>
> So, do you know if your GV (serial) modem works with OS 9.1?
>
> Mary

There is no reason that a serial modem would stop working between 9.0.4 and
9.1, even if the manufacturer went out of business. They're pretty much the
same beast under the hood. They all use the Hayes AT command set. The only
time I could see that being a problem is if you're running one of those
archaic "software" modems (name of the interface escapes me at the moment)
Apple experimented with in the early-mid 1990s.

You should be able to fiddle with different modem settings files to get it
to work.

Eric.