[muglo] Re: Need Modem - OS 9.1 compatible

  • From: Barry Takayesu <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:11:14 -0500

>There is no reason that a serial modem would stop working between 9.0.4 and
>9.1, even if the manufacturer went out of business. They're pretty much the
>same beast under the hood. They all use the Hayes AT command set. The only
>time I could see that being a problem is if you're running one of those
>archaic "software" modems (name of the interface escapes me at the moment)
>Apple experimented with in the early-mid 1990s.
>
>You should be able to fiddle with different modem settings files to get it
>to work.
>
>Eric.

A big thank you to everyone who responded with helpful suggestions -
Mary, Alex, Eric, Terry, Luke. I will try and do as you say.

The 450 G4 that I bought at Mac Outpost must have been one of a rare
few that didn't come with a built-in modem - something that I didn't
discover until after the fact.

In answer to one of the posts, I did check with Rogers about a cable
modem. Since I am about 100 yards away from the last Rogers
installation (across a major intersection) and since they would have
to go underground, the tech estimated the initial cost to be $25,000
to $30,000 - a bit over my budget. I know Sympatico has high speed,
but I am probably 3 miles from the switching station and would not
benefit greatly - perhaps 120K.

Just out of curiosity, my USB 56K modem usually connects at 49000
bps. The USB port has a throughput of 12Mb, but the typical download
speed is around 1500 - 1800 bps. What is causing the bottleneck?
Barry Takayesu
Prestige Print & Graphics * 10592 Wellington Rd * St.Thomas, ON,
Canada  N5P 3T1
ph: (519) 631-8800 * fax: (519) 631-6316 *  mailto:prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx