[muglo] Re: Jaguar on an early G4

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:05:44 -0500

>on 19/3/03 9:20 PM, Mark Sandilands at marksan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>  I have a G4 that I bought in 1999 when they first came out.  I'm thinking of
>>  finally going over to OS 10 and went to the local dealer who said
>>that Jaguar
>>  doesn't support classic (OS 9.2.2) software.  I thought I'd seen stuff that
>>  said it did.  Any advice from anybody?  I have lots of memory (512
>>MB of RAM)
>>  and a 10 gig hard drive (which seems puny compared to the 80 gigs that come
>>  with the new G4s).
>
>Unequivocally, get OS X Jaguar, and, YES, you _can_ run Classic in Jaguar (I
>type this e-mail to you from Outlook Express which hasn't been updated to OS
>X yet)!!!!!!

But... you can't do serial stuff even in classic mode... or can you?
Like print via serial printers...
And what about a serial modem? Can one use a serial modem in OSX? I
dont think so...

Ok so maybe I'm one of the few ppl hating X for this....  but I
happen to like my Imagewriter II and my 56k USR modem....

And in my thoughts on blue&whites and the possibility of aquiring
one... I was thinking the G3 port serial adapter was a good choice to
keep my serial devices running... certainly cheaper than a serial pci
card... but then the internal modem is lost (bc the G3 serial port
thingee goes in the modem slot)... I figured I could still use an
external modem... but now I'm thinking, not in OSX... bummer

guess there's no such thing as a USB modem....

why did Apple drop support for serial devices? I hate hate _hate_ it....

>I am running it on a G3/400 laptop and wouldn't think of running anything
>else anymore, and, the thing is that OS X is really taking advantage of the
>laptop's features.

My experience (limited) of X (10.1.5) is that it is a lot slower
feeling than 9xx... I've used it on my older Tower system (500mhz but
50mhz bus) and on a 500mhz ibook... they both feel slow compared to
9xx on the same machine...

That said, my biggest frustration with X is that I know squat about
it... I mean, sure, I can _use_ it like any shlubb who buys a new
mac... but I don;t _know_ it, like I know the other OS's... I figured
fooling around with it would solve the problem... but I find it is so
different I just don't know what to do with it....  one nice thing
tho... jabber works in X... jabber never did work in 9xx

>... Though, I am tempted to give YellowDog Linux 3.0 a whirl again just
>because since it looks like they've made it a lot more user friendly than
>2.x days (my biggest headache was screen size/depth).
>
>Your G4 tower will do an excellent job with OS X. 0.5 GB RAM is enough to
>let Jaguar shine, but I would suggest you up it to 768 MB if you have the
>extra dough lying around. The AltiVec code in the G4 combined with your ATI
>16 MB video card (PCI?) will really make the interface zing (compared to OS
>9 which doesn't use hardware acceleration), but you would want to consider
>adding another HD (ATA/66 or /100). 40 GB drives seem to be coming down in
>price and you could pick one up with a decent warrantee for around $150 CDN.

does this also hold true for G4 upgraded G3's? As in, a G3 with a G4
Apple ZIF? Is it the zif or the motherboard design that makes the
diff?

--
-------
Free yourself from auto dependence...