[muglo] Re: Jaguar on an early G4

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:29:20 -0500

on 19/3/03 9:20 PM, Mark Sandilands at marksan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a G4 that I bought in 1999 when they first came out.  I'm thinking of
> finally going over to OS 10 and went to the local dealer who said that Jaguar
> doesn't support classic (OS 9.2.2) software.  I thought I'd seen stuff that
> said it did.  Any advice from anybody?  I have lots of memory (512 MB of RAM)
> and a 10 gig hard drive (which seems puny compared to the 80 gigs that come
> with the new G4s).

Unequivocally, get OS X Jaguar, and, YES, you _can_ run Classic in Jaguar (I
type this e-mail to you from Outlook Express which hasn't been updated to OS
X yet)!!!!!!

I am running it on a G3/400 laptop and wouldn't think of running anything
else anymore, and, the thing is that OS X is really taking advantage of the
laptop's features.

... Though, I am tempted to give YellowDog Linux 3.0 a whirl again just
because since it looks like they've made it a lot more user friendly than
2.x days (my biggest headache was screen size/depth).

Your G4 tower will do an excellent job with OS X. 0.5 GB RAM is enough to
let Jaguar shine, but I would suggest you up it to 768 MB if you have the
extra dough lying around. The AltiVec code in the G4 combined with your ATI
16 MB video card (PCI?) will really make the interface zing (compared to OS
9 which doesn't use hardware acceleration), but you would want to consider
adding another HD (ATA/66 or /100). 40 GB drives seem to be coming down in
price and you could pick one up with a decent warrantee for around $150 CDN.

Compared to OS 9 OS X is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stable! The only time
my computer crashes is when I actually do something which I know will crash
it -- otherwise, crashes just _don't_ happen. (OS 9 really is a lame duck OS
now by comparison... it took a few years for OS X to settle down, but I
think it's matured now to the point where it can play in the big leagues...
though, I am desperately waiting for 10.2.5 to fix my modem issue (I know
how to set off a kernel panic so I simply avoid that behaviour... having
'automatically connect when TCP/IP is needed' set causes kernel panics if
the modem is not hooked up to the phone line)).

Also, you'll find that on your G4 the interface is comparable to OS 9 in
responsiveness, and once you get used to REAL multitasking and protected
memory, you'll adopt a very different style of working. I find it
agonisingly frustrating to work in OS 9 now b/c of the fact that OS 9
doesn't multitask (well, ok, it does so, but in a very limited manner). I
open up something, it's a task that'll take more than 1-2 seconds so I'll
hop over to some other application.

L8r, Eric.