[muglo] Re: Jaguar on an early G4

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:40:13 -0500

on 19/3/03 9:48 PM, Martin Albinger at max@xxxxxx wrote:

> experience!). A G4 should be able to handle it relatively easily
> however graphics will be a week area. You have enough memory and
> Jaguar takes advantage of the G4 processor.

With a 16 MB+ video card and a G4 CPU graphics in Jaguar will fly. OS X
makes full, unadulterated use of video acceleration whereas OS 9 barely
could get its act together to provide support for games -- the only place
where I wish Apple would focus its attention GUI speed-wise is to optimise
the menu display. I would happily sacrifice a little of the fanciness if it
meant rapid menu display (I can especially notice it with only 8 MB of video
RAM).

The fade-in/fade-out crap is the one thing that harms the OS X experience,
even on fast G4s! In Classic I can click on a menu and it appears instantly.
In OS X proper, the intentional delay is a touch irritating at times. This
is one area where Apple _really_ needs to reintroduce elements from OS 9 --
the "Appearance" control panel where you can customise your interface, and,
let's say, turn off the bloody fade-in/fade-out.

Eric.