[modeleng] Re: Steam engine RPM?

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:25:11 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Having used both for a number of boilers, I wouldn't bother with propane for
anything over (say) a Gauge 1 boiler. Too much foolin' around on a large
job. With oxy/acet you can localise the heat much more effectively. Copper
ain't as easy to burn out as a lot of people think - especially if your
plates are thick enough to comply with AMBSC code, the main danger is the
tube ends.

Terry, I agree with you, propane is fine for little jobs, but if you get
serious, then oxy/acet is the only way to go.  I think the main problem in Old
Blighty is a plethora of regulations designed to keep oxy/acety equipment out
of the hands of all but probably licensed welders.  There are three oxy/acet
sets within 200 yards of my house, that is counting my own, but there may be
more.  All three of these torch sets are owned by individuals like meself, but
all of us have had experience with them in industrial settings.  What is
happening in Great Britain is probably more of what is beginning to happen in
our countries, creeping gumment regulations implemented by wide eyed over
zealous  bureaucrats who have to answer to no one.

Jesse