[modeleng] Pistons was 3½ vs 5, Sweet Pea

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:13:19 -0500

At 09:27 PM 9/26/05 +0100, you wrote:
>Works on the 12" to the ft scale ok John, why not in 5" - Dave

       I have never known of a single instance where a threaded piston
connection (meaning for anything other than retaining nut), was used in
full size.  Certainly there may very well have been, but it would have been
the extreme exception rather than the rule.
       IF you intend to use a fully threaded connection, and I've done so
myself (but won't again), the thing to do is start the thread in the lathe
(between centers, in collet, or indicated in a 4-jaw) with a single point
tool.  This assures axial alignment (& concentricity) of the thread form,
and you have the option of running on a die for final shaping.  Then, more
importantly, the piston should be finish turned to final OD on the rod
between centers to insure concentricity between the rod and piston OD.  On
my current loco project I intend to use a short tapered shank retained by a
recessed nut as described next.
       Another question . . . I cannot for the life of me remember the name
of the type of nut & spanner combination where the nut has two holes
drilled in the face and the spanner is adjustable with studs which fit into
the holes.  Refresh my memory?

Regards,
Harry