[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] Re: [modeleng] 3½ versus 5, going on to Sweet Peas

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:27:21 +0100

2) The piston is mounted onto the piston rod with a thread. I don't like
using a thread for alignment in such a critical area. To my way of thinking
the thread should be for fastening, and the alignment should come from the
fit of a tapered or parallel section of the rod in the piston.

Works on the 12" to the ft scale ok John, why not in 5", just a little care
needed to cut the thread. Also, never fir brass or phosphor bronze nuts!!!!
I did and one fine day, there was a bit of a bang!!!!!!!!! ....Sounded and
expensive bang!!!!!!!...... Fortunately, the Pea os built big enough so when
the piston locknut comes off, it breaks it up and just stops the loco going
anywhere.
Dave.

Having said that, the Sweet Pea is a fine workhorse and great way for people
to express their own individuality.

Many diff designs, mines and 0-4-2 side tank, no cab but spectacle plate as
per padarn quarry engines.

Dave.