[mira_talk] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 04:36:57 +0200 (CEST)

> On July 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM "Mendez Garcia, Celia" <cmendezg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>  thanks. It worked by re-trying. 256 GB is the amount of memory I'm using.
>Just 1 CPU core...

MIRA worked with 256 threads, so somehow I'm a bit puzzled.

>  Another tiny tiny thing: I'm mapping several genomes against a reference and
>always get just one contig.
> My supervisor asks how come. What should I reply to this, I mean, is this
> usual?

You did a "mapping" and not a de-novo assembly, therefore this is to be expected
(if your reference sequence has 1 contig that is). MIRA fills gaps in the
reference with Ns, you should be able to spot these stretches easily in the
results.

May I suggest that you contact your Bioinformatics support group at your
institute and ask them to give you an introduction into the difference of
de-novo and mapping and when to use what? This actually is quite important for
you to understand.

Best,