[macvoiceover] Re: Singing Sparrow's Install

  • From: Richard Bartholomew <richard_bartholomew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:41:11 +0100

Yes, the difference in date pronunciation can be very misleading and annoying!
I’ve recently switched over to an American voice due to a problem with the one
I was using and my dates are now mispronounced when written in numerical
format, ie VO reads them in month/day/year order whereas they are written in
day/month/year order; for example, 07/09/2015 is read as 9th July, 2015!

Very offputting when you first come across it <smile>

Regards
Richard Bartholomew

On 16 Sep 2015, at 16:27, Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll add my name to the list of those on the revelation of ignorance list.
What is the enhanced Alex voice?

One thing I've noticed when switching voices, is that it sometimes takes a
few minutes before the voice catches up and starts performing normally. OK,
maybe not a few minutes, but sometimes it can seem like that because of the
keyboard lag as you type. The main reason that I choose the voice I do Is
that each voice pronounces date slightly differently, especially between the
different nationalities. Like a united kingdom voice will pronounce the day
differently then United States voice, and it screws up items in the standard
OS X applications like the dates reported in Mail in-box. I have yet to find
a satisfactory explanation of this. I have also noticed that some of the
voices miss pronounce a few words. I'm sure it will come up for many of you,
but the word exegetical Is pronounced exegeticallyby a few voices, but not
all. Using the Ava voice, Thy with a capitla T comes out as tee, with a lower
case I get the proper thy. So as I’m leading prayers in church I’m hearing
tee Kingdom come tee will be done and my headset, and saying the proper
pronunciation out loud.

Just a few quirks, overall I find the experience with the different voices to
be just fine. I am curious about the enhanced Alex though. Will have to check
it out.

Ian

On Sep 16, 2015, at 9:12 AM, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I had no idea there was an enhanced Alex. I guess i'm publicly revealing my
ignorance if there is one.

The resources I just sent should help with your other questions.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Sep 16, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

well, from what i can tell it does work well .
Now i have a question is there a way to have what i would term the standard
alex voice along side the enhanced alex voice? so you may switch between
both if wanted?
I was actually surprised that it only took about an hour or less to install
from a freshly ereased disc.
are there any new voice over commands i should be aware of? what works
differently in yosemity vs snow leppard?

On 9/16/2015 9:39 AM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
I'm thrilled that Singing Sparrow perseveered and got it done. I'm
relieved that it works okay with only 2gb of memory.

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface
at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover