[lit-ideas] Re: more cell phone spottings

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:01:59 -0500

John: There is a VERY TINY part of the "environment" that we are NOT alienated from. Billions of cubic feet are under the oceans; it's a VERY good thing we are alienated from such places. And we cannot live in much of the polar regions, or above certain elevations; we are also "alienated" from those environments.

Eric: But is there such a thing as "the" environment? If you think of environment in terms of habitat for a creature, then our habitat is cities and towns and farms, mountains, fields, and forests, the inside of mines, submarines, and jets.

The biosphere in the other hand--that part of life which is not our habitat--includes ocean-floor volcanic spouts, stratospheric realms of bacteria, and stretches of polar ice. To call that "the" environment is to postulate a home without a common inhabitant, as John indicates. It's an environment for some kinds of life, but not us.