[lit-ideas] cell phone spottings

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:44:31 -0500

Spotted two new applications of cell phones in the past five years.

In 2000, I was walking to an ophthalmologist at 72nd and Park. As I waited for the light to change at Madison, I noticed a homeless guy standing at the corner. People in suits rushing past him, women with fancy shopping bags, packs of yellow cabs and limos, and this homeless guy appeared to be talking on a cell phone. I glanced at him. He didn't have a cell phone, but was merely pretending to have a cell phone, so he could talk to himself in a more convincing manner. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he pretended to fold up the invisible cell phone and turned away.

You know the cliche about people walking around with cell phones having nothing better to say than to tell people where they are? In 2001, I was walking a friend's dog in Roosevelt Park on the west side. A tousled man in a business suit, shirt open, tie hanging loose, a big white spot on his suit lapel, emerged from the tunnel that connects the upper park with the boat docks on the lower level. He was lying about his location. "Right now I'm approaching 57th and Sixth," he said as he walked past me. Left me wondering why he wanted the person on the other end of the call to believe he was over a mile away.