[lit-ideas] Re: lit gr8s

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:36:07 -0500

At 03:24 PM 11/17/2005, you wrote:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,1644241,00.html

For most people who AREN'T into 'texting', much more than 30% of the meaning is lost by saving 30% of the typing. It's really not as much to do with the savings as it is with being cool and 'creative'. I've seen people in chats use 'short' forms that are actually equal to or longer than the substituted word.

ON the one hand, it is truly amazing how able some people are at texting with phones, palms etc. On the other hand [sometimes, on both] there is actually a new syndrome ['texter's thumbs'] that is being seen more and more by doctors. Hours and hours of tapping out silly coded messages on miniature keyboards is probably NOT what our hands were made for.

jmho,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada