[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:06:13 -0500

From my undergrad and M.A. alma mater
<http://departments.columbian.gwu.edu/english/undergraduate/courses/upperlevel>

  93061         ENGL 3560W.10    American Realism
                  Romines                    MW  03:45PM - 05:00PM
This course looks at texts produced by the Realist movement that dominated U.
S. writing in the decades between 1865 and 1912. We will read books that
reflect the rapid social changes that occurred in the U. S. in the decades
after the Civil War: urbanization, immigration, changes in gender construction,
distribution of wealth, attitudes toward ethnicity and race. The energies of
American Realist writing reflect both the accelerating pace of the last decades
of the nineteenth century and the beginnings of “modern” twentieth century
literature. Readings will include texts by Mark Twain, Henry James, Pauline
Hopkins, Sui Sin Far, Zitkala Sa, Edith Wharton, C. W. Chesnutt, Sarah Orne
Jewett, and others. Requirements: midterm and final examinations, two essays
and class participation.  This is a WID course.

95645         ENGL 3720W.10    Contemporary American Lit
        Moreland                   TR  03:45PM - 05:00PM

In this course, we will explore the ‘howling’ literature of 1950s and 1960s
America.  Post-World War II America was intent on a return to “normalcy,” which
was inevitably defined narrowly.  Those that deviated from the norm—whether in
terms of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class,
psychological state, or behavior—were ejected from the “normal” center into the
margins of society.  Rendered invisible by society, those who were marginalized
gave themselves voice in the literature of the time, saying “No! in thunder”
(in Melville’s prescient words) to the strictures of 1950s and 1960s American
society.

Sample Texts: Ginsberg’s Howl; Ferlinghetti’s A Coney Island of the Mind;
Kerouak’s On the Road; Kesey’s One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest; Ellison’s
Invisible Man; Plath’s The Bell Jar; Baldwin’s Giovanni’s Room.

Requirements: An annotated bibliography, a long paper, a final exam, and
participation in class discussion.

92481         ENGL 3810.10        Freud,Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky
     Carter                        TR  09:35AM - 10:50AM

94605         ENGL 3810.11        19th C. British Novel & Empire
           Goswami                   TR  11:10AM - 12:25PM

This course will examine the pivotal role Britain’s vast empire played in
shaping the British novel from the mid-nineteenth to the early twentieth
century. We will explore how actual wars, debates, laws and insurgencies in the
colonies erupt into British novels in interesting and unexpected ways. The
topics we will consider include: the idea of ‘England’ and ‘Englishness’;
notions of civility and barbarity; the metropolis versus the colony; cultural
hybridity and colonial identity; children and empire-building; and the rhetoric
of imperial fiction. We will also make a brief foray into postcolonial fiction
as an example of how the ‘empire writes back’. We will read works by Charlotte
Bronte, Rudyard Kipling, Frances H. Burnett, Joseph Conrad, E.M. Forster, and
others.

97063         ENGL 3830.11        Popular Music & Identity
               Wald                          TR  11:10AM - 12:25PM

Why on social networks like Facebook are musical likes such an important part
of user profiles? What does "our" music have to tell us about who we imagine
ourselves to be and, conversely, how does music shape identity and
identification? How are different identities "sounded"? This course explores
how identities are formed and de-formed, reflected and made, in popular music
culture, focusing on the 20th and 21st-century United States (although we will
also talk about the history of 19th-century blackface minstrelsy). We will read
theoretical texts about music and identity, as well as delve into fiction and
creative non-fiction. Topics include: race/ethnicity and musical identity;
popular music and aesthetics; pop music genres; music and sexualities; music,
consumption/production and the Internet.

95262         ENGL 3840.10        Gender and Literature
                 Chu                            MW  02:20PM - 03:35PM

Inward Journeys:  Gender and Autography.  The course will examine how
(primarily) American women writers transform and re-create the genres of
autobiography and memoir.  Given autobiographical traditions that emphasize
individual confession and internal spiritual transformation (St. Augustine,
Rousseau) or public service or development as a citizen (Franklin, Douglass),
how do women negotiate the process of writing their stories?  How do women
justify the act of writing publicly about their lives?  How do women negotiate
the public/private divide, in life and in writing?  How do women write about
bodies, sexuality, spirituality, citizenship, and other aspects of self?  Who
gets to write a memoir, under what conditions, and for whom?

The genres of autobiography, memoir, and “life writing” have been re-theorized
in narrative and epistemological terms; the idea of objective, transparent
reportage has been supplanted by questions about truth, memory, language,
history, ethnography.  How do women’s texts negotiate these questions?
Representative authors include:  ; Harriet Jacobs, Incidents in the Life of a
Slave Girl; Mary Antin, The Promised Land; Gertrude Stein, The Autobiography of
Alice B. Toklas;  Mary McCarthy, Memories of a Catholic Girlhood; Sara Suleri,
Meatless Days;  and Gloria Anzaldua, Borderlands/La Frontera.  This course
fulfills the theory and/or cultural studies requirement for the English major.

96564         ENGL 3980.10        Queer Studies
                      McRuer                      MW  12:45PM - 02:00PM

Note: this course will likely feature a short-term study abroad component, with
a week's attendance at the Prague International LGBT Film Festival. Contact
Professor McRuer directly (rmcruer@xxxxxxx) with questions about this course.

The interdisciplinary field that has come to be called "queer" studies over the
past two decades has always concerned itself with questions of representation:
how are, for instance, lesbians and gay men, or transgendered people,
represented in film, in novels, in other forms of media?  As the field has
developed, these questions of representation have increasingly been linked to
other, complex questions, involving political economy, globalization, and
transnationalism: in what ways have lgbt people been incorporated into
contemporary nation-states?  What identities and desires threaten "the nation"
as it is currently (and variously) materialized in our world?  How have
identities such as "gay" and "lesbian" circulated globally?  How have those
recognizable minority identities come into contact and conflict with other ways
of identifying around non-normative desires?  Have those identities at times
unctioned imperialistically, especially as "gay tourism" has become a
recognizable part of global capitalism?  Conversely, what kinds of unexpected
alliances have been shaped across borders as queer movements have globalized?
How have these movements theorized race, gender, class, and ability; what
connections have been made with other movements organized around identity? This
film studies course will consider how questions of queer representation
intersect with questions of queer globalization(s).

Seems like indoctrination to me.

"One god I can understand, but one wife? It is not generous.... It is not
civilized." Sheik Ilderim, Ben-Hur, 1959

Thomas Hart
tehart@xxxxxxx