[lit-ideas] Re: Waterboarding Bodies Mattered

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:10:43 -0230

One last point regarding Eric's reference to "multiculturalism" as a project
requiring "standing with one's culture."

The contemporary W. project of multiculturalism, across its myriad forms,
presupposes for its cogency and validity univeral claims regarding the moral
wrongness of exclusion and the moral probity of claims regarding the equal
rights of all persons (where gender is not a feature of personhood). Turning "a
blind eye to the treatment of women in Islamic culutres" is a maxim that is both
self-contradictory and one that displays illegitimate self-exemption as
delineated by the Categorical Imperative, in both its monologial version (Kant)
and it dialogical versions (Habermas, Scanlon).

Walter Okshevsky
MUN