[lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:57:06 -0700 (PDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 25, 2004 6:28 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

 > 90% is just about everbody, including the so called "educated".  So it
 > doesn't matter
who's in the White House, because nobody knows what's going on.

They didn't say that the 10% knew what was going on. What they said was that
only 10% have a
self-consistent political ideology. For example, a Republican who wants to cut
taxes but
knows this means he must cut the budget. Or a Democrat who wants universal
health care and
accepts the taxes to pay for it.

A.A. Isn't that saying the same thing?  To want something and not know how to
pay for it is not knowing what's going on, would you say?

A.R. Only 10% of voters "know" what they are voting for. The rest have a
muddled collection of
contradictory desires: no taxes, more benefits, and so on.

A.A.  The same 10% that know what's going on.

> Don't even ask that we're having the heck taxed out of us.

It's not that we're having the heck taxed out of us, quite the contrary. Of all
industrialized countries, the USA pays by far the lowest taxes.

A.A.  That's true.  I misstated my position, i.e., the rich are not being taxed
at all (this is not my opinion, this is fact, they are not being taxed at all),
while the middle class is carrying the entire tax load.

Andy Amago

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com