[lit-ideas] Re: Theory of democracy...

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:27:12 -0700

> Democracy is, as Winston Churchill once famously noted, not a perfect system,
> but one much
better than the alternatives. Why? Not because voters always make intelligent
choices
(clearly they don't), because voting means regular opportunities to throw the
current
buggers out and compels our rulers to pay some attention to the consequences of
their
actions, at least for those they hope will cast votes in their direction.

The same system worked under the sky gods. If the ruler didn't perform his
duties, a major
invasion would turn into a disaster or a hurricane would pass through his
favorite state.

That kept the rulers in line just as well, by obliging them to pay some
attention to the
consequences of their actions, at least for those gods they hope will cast
favors in their
direction.

John expresses the hope that democracy will work. But his hope is based on
idealism. Voters
don't know, and worse yet, don't care, what they are voting on.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com