[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:34:45 -0600

DMcE:
>> 'a' and 'non-a' logically contradict - that is, they cannot both be true..

Maybe this is where I disagree with all y'all.  Of course, they can both be
true -- not within a rigid consistent system perhaps, but in real life?

              I can love both fair and brown;
              Her whom abundance melts, and her whom want betrays;
              Her who loves loneness best, and her who masks and plays;
              Her whom the country form'd, and whom the town;
              Her who believes, and her who tries;
              Her who still weeps with spongy eyes,
              And her who is dry cork, and never cries.
              I can love her, and her, and you, and you;
              I can love any, so she be not true.

You would have John Donne be logical?  Shame on you!  Life is not played
according to Hoyle.  It is not the game logicians would make of it.  Life is
goulash.  Dig in.

Mike Geary
a liberal Memphian
a living contradiction