[lit-ideas] Re: The Head Butter

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:46:31 -0400

I'm completely overwhelmed by how totally inept the finishing is in today's soccer. They can all dribble, they can be wizards with the ball, they can head, they can volley, but ask them to put it in the net, forget it. When I played soccer, we finished. The goals were the thing. Nowadays, we see a guy from the defender's penalty area starting a chain reaction of backward kicks that end up on their own goalie's foot. PATHETIC!!! England's Lampard may be Chelsea's enfant terrible, but with England he was absolutely terrible. He had 25 chances that I could have finished. In watching this years's cup matches, I was astounded at how 'professional' footballers consistently missed the net from less than 20 yards. These are professionals right? If any other sport had such inept professionals, they would be fired.

underwhelmed,