[lit-ideas] Re: The Head Butter

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:18:18 +0100

"He who goads the striker into getting sent off is a shade less
culpable than the head-butter?"

Perhaps, but it's the result that counts and on this occasion, the result was an audacious headbut that couldn't be warranted whatever the provocation. Was that what the Italian was expecting? Is that kind of reaction a common occurance in football matches? No to both. Zidane was an idiot and though France played the better football, Italy were, in my house, the moral winners.

That one incident aside, I thought the match was played in a surprisingly sporting atmosphere. Surprising as far as football goes. Which, I'm sure others would agree, isn't that far.

Simon