[lit-ideas] Re: Studies In Chicken and Whisky

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 22:10:12 -0500

I love Nellie McKay.  Have for about a year and a half.  Last year I sent Donal
some of her songs and sent Erin the whole album -- "Get Away From Me".  Never
heard what Donal thought -- he's polite, but Erin hated her.  She even went to
a Nellie McKay concert in Toronto and threw paper airplanes at her.  Erin is so
rude.

Mike Geary
Memphis
          From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Sunday, May 18, 2008, 11:54 PM

Critics may be unanimous that no verse which appears on this list has
more than an ounce of good sense in it, and that all of it is
certifiably green in the meaning department, but if we stipulate
this, where does that leave the poor sod who gets attacked for
mentioning that he puts ice in his whisky?  I mean he's sitting there
quietly on the group W bench, just sitting there with Arlo and a
rather large lobster, churning his words, and suddenly, just because
he's mentioned frozen water, hordes of pork roasters come at him with
ice picks. How much justice is there in that, I ask you?  About as
much as you'd get from a blind barman in a New England nunnery.
Maybe less.  Bloody minded is what I call it, just plain
straightforward bloody minded, like a Yorkshire pig with a hankering
for truffles, setting off for France, and finding after the
Strindberg roundabout--avoid that one on any bank holiday weekend is
my bit of free advice-- and turning left at Helium (if you see signs
for Misery, you've gone too far), carrying on past McGonagall's
Auction (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/
tayside_and_central/7402920.stm.)  that he's actually got no idea
where France is.  That's not how we go about life down at the Salt
Lake Masonic.  Show me money and I'll show you people with a lot more
sense than pigs, people who know their ice cubes from their branches,
people who can tell you there's not an ounce of difference between
cold water out of a stream and frozen water from the freezer.  Water
is water and work is work and that's all I can compress into a
postcard-sized rant, so that's all there is to it.

David Ritchie
taking it home in
Portland, Oregon

your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest on/off),
visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html