[lit-ideas] Re: Studies In Chicken and Whisky

  • From: "palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bev Hogue <hogueb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, colloquium@xxxxxxxxxx, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>, evolutionary-psychology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franz Huber <Franz.Huber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Orion Anderson <libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, philosop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wokshevs@xxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:05:53 -0400 (EDT)

what si your view of Skye?

On Mon, 19 May 2008 wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

> Just one minor comment for the sake of maintaining the arches of civilization.
> (It's Victoria Day today in Canada, and thus I offer the following thoughts,
> in
> keeping with a cosmopolitan sense of what unites us in our common humanity and
> dignity - be we Quebecers or not.)
>
> Now, regarding those arches and David R's rant below, along with his posting
> of
> May 12 ("Whisky a la ..."): There is one reference made in both these texts
> that is morally and epistemically worthy of comment. (I don't mean to suggest,
> of course, that there are no other references in these texts of similar
> status.) The matter under discussion here is The Macallan, 12 yr. old.
>
> No, this malt - like the Toronto Maple leafs -  does not perform well on ice.
> Of course, no single malt scotch whiskey should ever be mixed with ice. This
> is
> not a categorical imperative, mind you, but rather a hypothetical one:
>
> If you wish to
> experience comprehensively the possible nosing and tasting notes of a single
> malt, keep the ice in the freezer. All you need is a splash of water, a very
> small splash, for every dram (one and one quarter oz.) of malt.
>
> To determine whether you have added too much or too little water, do NOT taste
> the malt. For if you put too little water into your sniffer - we all do have
> our sniffers, of course - a taste will debilitate your taste buds beyond
> redemption for the evening ... indeed, to the point where you might as well
> replace the whiskey on its alphabeticized position on the shelf and take out a
> bottle of Jack Daniels from the baement.
> (Apologies to the bourbonites of the world ... but, after all ....)
>
> Moving right along: Stick your nose into the glass .... further, further ....
> that's it. No, that's too far. You'll drown that way. There, that's the right
> distance, just on top of the liquid. Now breathe in through your nose. Take a
> lo-o-o-ong, de-e-e-ep breath. If you begin to experience a discomforting,
> perhaps even slightly painful, sensation at the back of your nose, you know
> that you have not added sufficient water to your dram. Proceed accordingly.
>
> Under idealized epistemic conditions of discourse, you should be able to come
> an agreement with your libational interlocutors on the following generalizable
> tastes: Some sherry. Some honey. Flowery notes (you decide). A nicely rounded
> finish, but nothing to write home about. If the colour amber pleases you, go
> with that ethical conception of the pleasing.
>
> Thus ends the lesson.
>
> (Wirchlich! The things I do for civilization and the ideals of a
> liberal education! I trust that our friendly neighborhood stingray, along with
> Newman, Pelikan and Reading appreciate my efforts. Not that I have anything
> against chicken stock, mind you. I catch a cold, too, every once in awhile.)

> [...]

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

/begin/read__>sig.file
postal address
 PALMA

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: 19196881856
office ph#:1916602428
cellph#: 19195997065 (voicemail is available on both home and mobile phone
numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*only when in Europe*
 i. J. Nicod
off. address
I jean nicod/Ens
pav jardin, 29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france

email me for details if needed

________

This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail you must not copy, distribute, take any action in
reliance on it or disclose it to anyone.  Any confidentiality or privilege is
not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.  This entity is not
responsible for any information not related to the business of this entity.  If
you
have received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the
sender.