[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 17:39:22 -0700

George Macdonald, who wrote about fairies in Victorian times, became known to me via a photographic carte de visite, which he presented who knows where, and which then turned up for sale on ebay. Having a touch of Rasputin about him--the eyes, the beard, the long hair--he would in modern times probably terrify children. Maybe he did back then too. Nevertheless, I'm adding him to my small collection of literary minor leaguers and farm team bench warmers, those to whom I nod deferentially from time to time, before I spit, and once again wonder how on earth to make the leap onto their shoulders.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon