[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:53:10 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2005 7:40:49 AM Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Even if this was
true, the fact that the courts didn't take Michael's behavior, whatever it
was, into account says it's beside the point and certainly not illegal.
Dear Andy,
Much as I might want to sympathize with Michael, I cannot...it IS true that
he barred her parents from the room...and it is true, as well, that he has also
already 'moved on'.  If he was, indeed, engaging in domestic violence, the
eating disorder she had could have been a result of that (and, as you state, it
is sometimes about power/control...and so perhaps it was the only control she
had over her own life OR maybe it was because he was not happy that she
weighted 150 lbs [what she weighed when they marred--but she had always had
fluctuating weight as many of us do] and so she had to do what she could in
order to
please him (esp if he got mad...)   Lest you think that all men engaging in
domestic violence are brutes that show that behavior in the open, let me assure
that there are many many who are extremely clever--very winsome, in fact.
It would have been such a little 'gift' for her parents to have felt that
they, as well, had 'tried everything' (presuming that is what Michael felt that
he had done).  The fact that her brain MAY be now in a state where it would be
next to impossible to revitalize is not relevant to the discussion of what he
ought to have done ... at the point when he barred her parents from their
daughter's room.  Okay--maybe it was not "illegal" but I do think it was
horrible
and mean and rotten.  And, I do not 'judge' easily--I will evaluate whenever
possible and not judge.  Had her parents *really* felt that they had done all
that they could do--perhaps they could have eased her away much more easily.
If, as Michael says, Terri was not conscious, not feeling anything--then what
would it have hurt to have allowed them to try 'everything'?  To be there, for
her, to see for themselves?  (Being from Missouri <g>, I understand the
concept of that...)  It would have done no harm to him--and much much for her
parents--and for those of us who believe in science and miracles [often
scientifically based but not known at the time], maybe the one odd time when
someone does
recover...

If this was about the 'living' and not the 'dead' (in Michael's mind) then he
ought to have cared about how to assist walking THEM through this.  They were
certainly there from the beginning--and were her parents.  Sure, the marriage
takes precedence over the parent/child relationship--but that parent/child
relationship is still there.  And, if nothing else--you walk people through
their darkness--you don't just leave them there.

My former library director was in a coma three times...the last time for
quite some time.  (He had also been given three months to live--in the
beginning)
 Sometimes you just do NOT know what will bring someone out of something
where they are...and sure, if you have all the information (as Andreas had) and
if
you had tried everything (like the wife of my former library director was
doing) and then still had no hope--then sure...go through the grieving process
and learn to let someone go back to the Presence.  (my belief system <g>)
But--if you have not the information and you had not been able to do/try all
that
was possible--how could you?

It may not be that they are afraid of death--it may be that you simply love
life so much and you want the rest of those you love and care for (and maybe
even just like <G>) to learn how to do that, too.  After walking through the dar
kness that I did--and it was--I will walk beside those who enter in my life
and will be passionate about them walking through their darkness and not giving
up.  It's horrible and it is hard -- but it IS possible and it IS worth it.
and maybe that is where her parents are--to just hold their daughter again
(does anyone know if Michael is even now allowing them THAT?)  I remember what
it
was like when I was in the hospital across town from my child who was in his
hospital.  It is the most horrible feeling--and I somehow managed to make them
release me before they wanted to--I simply could not stand it.  I cannot
imagine how horrible it would be to be barred from my child's room as they
were.
For not reason other than he didn't want them to do and to try...  Sounds like
a power-control issue on his part to me...

Still sad,
Marlena in Missouri