[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:58:44 -0500

Yes, you would think with terrorism, crime, gangs, futile drug war etc. the
Justice Dept. would find something else to do.  We are rapidly becoming
Iran west.  My husband and I assumed that it would be very difficult to
obtain a physician's help for suicide in Oregon if one didn't live there.
I can just see the right wing there yelling about 'suicide mills.'  So, for
anyone interested, Holland is an option and there is a group in Switzerland
called Dignitas which is helping people in this regard.

On another related note, there was a recent case of an older gentlemen
whose wife was in a nursing home.  He had spent down their estate to half.
At that time he asked Medicaid to take over so that he would have money for
a decent existence.  The case ultimately went to the Supreme Court which
ruled that he had to spend all of it on the nursing care of his wife.  So,
one gets very infirm and the other is pauperized.

I think most middle class people in this country who have saved all their
lives to have a decent existence in their old age are not aware of how
close they are to being impoverished.  Sometimes I think the 'spend it as
fast as you get it' crowd might have been psychic or just smarter.  Nursing
home insurance for people of our age is out of the question.  It's very
expensive, doesn't cover until after the first ninety days and I don't
trust them.  If the burden gets too big, they will declare bankruptcy.
Something, by the way, that has been taken away now for most ordinary
people.

Veronica