[lit-ideas] Re: Redecker

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:20:50 -0500

Simon: To use the current phrase, I'm sure there are good 'little dark people' and bad 'little dark people. 'Little dark people' are not ubiquitous. ... I'm not convinced by this article.

Eric: If there are good "little dark people" (Andreas phrase) and bad "little dark people," then surely there are good and bad neocons too? :-)

What interested me in Andreas' remarks was his implicit (and paradoxical) racism -- he who is always calling other people racists. Nepotist evil white men versus the burgeoning new rainbow meritocracy of Benneton made possible by ever-benign globalism. It's certainly as bipolar a world view as Bush's, only it passes itself off as progressive.

If you are unconvinced by Redecker's case, so be it. Pick Rushdie's, the most famous of the death threat recipients. And check out the manifesto he signed warning against Islamic "totalitarianism."

To repeat, yeah, we gotta feel sorry for those poor oppressed little dark people, while hating evil white men. It's the politically correct thing to do.