[lit-ideas] Re: Christianity and the military

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 07:27:54 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"It's certainly a curiosity, and I'm not sure what its broader implications
are, but the case of Cornelius alone shows that the very earliest Christians
were not averse to military folk."

They were expected to eventually leave the military.

Very lately it happened thus: while the bounty of our most excellent
emperors was dispensed in the camp, the soldiers, laurel-crowned, were
approaching. One of them, more a soldier of God, more steadfast than the
rest of his brethren, who had imagined that they could serve two masters,
his head alone uncovered, the useless crown in his hand?already even by that
peculiarity known to every one as a Christian?was nobly conspicuous.
Accordingly, all began to mark him out, jeering him at a distance, gnashing
on him near at hand. The murmur is wafted to the tribune, when the person
had just left the ranks. The tribune at once puts the question to him, Why
are you so different in your attire? He declared that he had no liberty to
wear the crown with the rest. Being urgently asked for his reasons, he
answered, I am a Christian. O soldier! boasting yourself in God. Then the
case was considered and voted on; the matter was remitted to a higher
tribunal; the offender was conducted to the prefects. At once he put away
the heavy cloak, his disburdening commenced; he loosed from his foot the
military shoe, beginning to stand upon holy ground; he gave up the sword,
which was not necessary either for the protection of our Lord; from his hand
likewise dropped the laurel crown; and now, purple-clad with the hope of his
own blood, shod with the preparation of the gospel, girt with the sharper
word of God, completely equipped in the apostles' armour, and crowned more
worthily with the white crown of martyrdom, he awaits in prison the largess
of Christ.

(Tertullian, De Corona)

Sincerely,

Phil Enns