[lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mohammad Al-Ubaydli <mo@xxxxx> wrote:
(snip)
> Still, here's my next round of questions, this time
> triggered by Part II, i=
> n which she describes the Islamic Revolution's
> effects on the University ca=
> mpus. It seems that at the start idealism was in the
> air, and moderates wer=
> e the majority - "at all times, even after the
> revolution, the Muslim stude=
> nts, especially the more fanatical ones, were a
> minority overshadowed by th=
> e leftist and secular student groups".
>
> Soon, however, a shift in power takes place, and the
> fanatical minority tak=
> es over.
>
> What happened? How did it happen?

The Tudeh or Communist Party, which was also
persecuted by the Shah, was a significant presence in
the 1979. Revolution. It participated in the first
elections after the Revolution, but it was outlawed in
1982. and there were severe crackdowns on them. There
were a number of other parties and factions, both
religious and secular. The below seems like a pretty
good account, though I haven't read the whole thing
yet:

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/islamic_revolution/revolution_and_iran_after1979_1.php

http://messenger.yahoo.com/