[lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:18:16 -0400

John  asks, "Is literary fiction a middle-class privilege?"

Perhaps.  But is it possible that people not in the middle class can work
their way into it through coming in contact with literary fiction in a
public school?

Alternatively, is being poor but having positive values place one in the
middle class?  By positive values I guess I am showing mine.  I mean ideas
like considering education important and being taught to study, work hard,
etc.  Haven't millions of poor immigrants worked their way into the middle
or upper class, at least as it concerns income?

Veronica