[lit-ideas] Re: Reading Lolita in Tehran

  • From: "Mohammad Al-Ubaydli" <mo@xxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:57:03 -0400

Dear John,
apologies for the silence - I am still reading the book, but I'd dropped ou=
t of the list and news in general for a while as all the news was dishearte=
ning. (The last straw was reading in the Economist about Sudanese atrocitie=
s).

Still, here's my next round of questions, this time triggered by Part II, i=
n which she describes the Islamic Revolution's effects on the University ca=
mpus. It seems that at the start idealism was in the air, and moderates wer=
e the majority - "at all times, even after the revolution, the Muslim stude=
nts, especially the more fanatical ones, were a minority overshadowed by th=
e leftist and secular student groups".

Soon, however, a shift in power takes place, and the fanatical minority tak=
es over.

What happened? How did it happen? (I had always lazily assumed that the ove=
rthrow of the Shah was by the fanatics - with the support of the population=
, but led by the Islamists.)

mo