[lit-ideas] Re: Radical Islam and Radical Americanism

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 17:49:39 -0400

On 11/3/2010 6:27 PM, Mike Geary wrote:
Many commentators today show that far from being nonviolent, the Bible is
really full of violence.

Like...yeah. The "Bible" is an anthology of scrolls that exist in many versions, from many traditions. To expect coherence is silly, like expecting all the poets in the Norton Anthology to agree with each other. For example, either 1&2 Kings or 1&2 Chronicles is true...they can't both be accurate.

It's as though Mike were angry at Palgrave's _Golden Treasury_.

For me, the important point about the Decalogue (those ten rules not being singled out until the Middle Ages) which Lawrence makes is between "murder" and "kill." People often assume the hairy thunderer requires "Thou shalt not kill." In fact, it is "Thou shalt not murder."

On the other hand, the Koran is soaked in blood, a book born of blood and conquest. Doesn't bother me. I like Viking Sagas too.